I am a system administrator and programmer with over fifteen years of IT experience spanning from workstation management to maintaining global enterprise networks. I am a lifelong learner, love coding (especially in Python), solving challenging problems, and finding better, more efficient ways to do things. I am looking for a DevOps, Linux administration, or cyber security position in the Austin or San Francisco Bay Area.
I am retiring from the Air Force and will be available starting June 30, 2014.
Operating Systems – Linux Ubuntu/Red Hat/Fedora, Windows Server 2000/2003R2/2008/2008R2, Windows NT/XP/2000/Vista/7, Apple Mac OS X
Applications/Technologies – Microsoft Exchange 2007/2010, Microsoft SQL, MySQL, WordPress, Nagios, Cacti, VMWare, Apache, McAfee IronMail, DNS, DHCP, Samba, ZFS
Programming/Scripting – Python, C++, Bash, PowerShell, VB Script, PHP
Certifications – CompTIA Security+, Microsoft Certified Professional
Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Manage hardware and software on physical and virtual servers in support of 24/7 operations across four data centers providing service to more than a million customers.
- Manage, troubleshoot, and provide customer support for messaging systems including Microsoft Exchange 2003/2007/2010, McAfee IronMail, Symantec Brightmail, Blackberry Enterprise, and Good Mobile.
- Maintain and troubleshoot Microsoft SQL databases and servers.
- Troubleshoot and provide customer support for directory services systems including Microsoft Domain Controllers, LDAP, DNS, DHCP, and account management via Active Directory Users and Computers (ADUC).
- Manage high availability server clusters utilizing VMWare and Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Automate infrastructure installation, configuration, and maintenance utilizing various scripting languages/technologies including VB Script, Python, and PowerShell.
- Perform server capacity planning, performance management, and network analysis.
- Serve on emergency response teams to resolve critical outages and security incidents.
- Supervise technical staff including, mentoring, training, assigning work, scheduling, setting priorities, and evaluating performance.
- Manage disaster recovery plans and execution including performing backups, maintaining archives and performing data recovery using CommVault.
- Contribute to the development of policies, procedures, and resources to improve stability and security and to standardize IT infrastructure.
Camp Darby, Livorno, Italy
- Acted as primary technician and single point of contact for all organization network, computer, and telephone issues.
- Monitored network and performed maintenance to ensure network availability.
- Administered and maintained Microsoft-based systems including file servers, printer servers, workstations, and office automation software.
- Served as organizations Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) managing Information Assurance (IA) programs including Communications Security (COMSEC), Emissions Security (EMSEC), and Computer Security (COMPUSEC).
- Installed, configured, and managed Open Source applications including Apache, MySQL, Nagios, and Cacti running on Red Hat Linux.
- Implemented and maintained logon scripts utilizing Kixtart.
- Used shell scripts to automate system build and administration tasks.
- Administered Cisco-based network and multiple Cisco products including Catalyst routers and switches, Voice over IP (VoIP) telephones, and Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager).
- Performed internal and inter-building circuit troubleshooting including mapping, fabrication, and maintenance of Ethernet and fiber-optic cable.
- Coordinated with vendors and outside agencies to resolve external network outages.
- Designed and implemented IT solutions to meet customer needs and mission objectives.
- Planned and implemented multiple system upgrades including switches, routers, servers, workstations, and analogue to VoIP telephone switchover.
Travis Air Force Base, Vacaville, California
- Provided total customer support service as a single point of contact for twenty three thousand customers world-wide for all voice, data, video network and cryptographic client devices.
- Provided technical support and escalation for other system administrators and performed advanced troubleshooting to systems to ensure timely resolution of issues.
- Performed root cause analysis of issues, prescribed preventive actions, and provided reports explaining findings.
- Monitored systems using NetIQ AppManager, CiscoWorks, and WhatsUp Gold.
- Developed and maintained a database to track and coordinate system maintenance.
- Supervised a team of computer and network support specialists including mentoring, scheduling, assigning work, training, setting priorities, and evaluating performance.
- Provided daily briefings to management regarding network status, network performance, and maintenance metrics.
- Performed quality assurance inspections of network equipment to ensure proper maintenance, availability, integrity, and security.
- Inspected, coordinated, and maintained physical security of controlled areas used to process and store classified information.
Andersen Air Force Base, Yigo, Guam
- Managed and troubleshot voice and data client devices including printers, telephones and workstations running Windows XP, NT, and 2000.
- Provided customer service, provisioning, and troubleshooting for user accounts.
- Upgraded analogue Air Traffic Control console to digital touchscreen system utilizing Microsoft servers and workstations.
- Ensured Y2K compliance for all existing and planned systems.
- Installed and fabricated cabling and installed Ethernet LAN drops (RJ-45 and thin-net).
- Performed site surveys and analysis for new equipment installation.
- Maintained voice and data patch panels and troubleshot local circuits.